Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Version 3

Here’s my 3rd try at a post concerning the recent events surrounding Terrell Owens and his apparent attempt at suicide.

My first version was aimed at showing (from a Biblical perspective) that money and fame mean nothing without a deep sense of purpose in life (i.e. serving God).

My second version tried to contrast the circus that is “T.O.” with another successful football player, Shaun Alexander, who fears God and tries to live an upright life.

Both versions seemed to have more of a derogatory tone than I wanted. So I’m on to Version 3.

The day that the news broke about Owens apparently trying to commit suicide was a slow day at the office for me. I had a full slate of patients scheduled, but no one (I mean NO ONE) showed up until about 4:00 pm that day. After taking care of my administrative responsibilities, I was left with a good amount of free time.

After about 5 games of FreeCell and 2 games of Hearts, I was ready for something more. Which, ironically, is exactly what I found.

One advantage of working at a Sam’s Club is having a bookstore at my office. Occasionally, I have spent some slow days reading some of the latest titles from their book collection. On this day, I found a book entitled “Touchdown, Alexander!”, an autobiography of Shaun Alexander, an Alabama football great. You can guess why I was interested.

It was a relatively quick and easy read. The book covered his childhood, his introduction to peewee football, his talent in football from an early age, his decision to attend the University of Alabama, and his journey as a professional football player. Interwoven throughout the account were stories of his faith in God.

Let me share a few excerpts from his book:


{commenting on Joshua 1:7} “First, if I did everything God told me to do, I would be successful. (I don’t equate being successful with having a lot of money or being famous, but with living a good life.)” – pg. 66

{commenting on his new popularity at Alabama} “Some people pulled at me, and others grabbed me. It made me feel like a rock star, and I didn’t like that feeling very much. Though it was flattering, I just couldn’t fit into it.” – pg. 81

{commenting on another school trying to sway him from his verbal college commitment} “My mother’s teaching and the lessons I’d received as a kid in church were so strong, I didn’t even feel tempted. To give my word is as strong as signing a contract. I couldn’t go back on that.” – pg. 53


Not only did I learn about Alexander’s time at Alabama, but I also saw an ordinary man who was totally focused on God. That’s a different perspective that we don’t always see in life, especially from a successful professional football player.

What does all this have to do with T.O.? Like I said before, my 2nd version of this post was going to be a T.O. bash and an Alexander praise party. But that discussion seems to be neither here nor there. The real discussion should be: where do I fit in compared to these 2 men?

In regards to how good a grip these two men have on life’s purpose, I’d give T.O. a 2 and Alexander a 9.

But I would give Rick a 7. Maybe a 7.5.

I don’t think I’m wrapped up in money, fame, or materialism, but I certainly haven’t been viewing my life and my relationship to God as well as Alexander has. We would call it being on “cruise control”.

In his book, Alexander would comment on how he prayed for God to be in charge of his life. He spoke of wanting to go to church camps to teach kids about Jesus. He used his “fame” to speak to kids about purity before marriage. His life seems to be all encompassed with serving God.

Too often, we’re wrapped up in college football. Or fishing. Or exercise. Or internet. We make those things our life, instead of making Christ our life (Colossians 3:4). And seeing how unfulfilling T.O.’s new $25 million contract was just drives the point home even more.
So instead of bashing T.O. again, and instead of spouting off the Scriptures that I haven’t fully exercised in my own life, I’ll just hold up an example of a man who believes in God with his whole being. Although he is a part of a denomination and not the one true church of the Bible, he sure could teach us a lot about self-denial and commitment to God.

No comments: