Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Playing not to lose...

You remember the cheer from your high school days at the football field, don’t you?

“Be aggressive! Be be aggressive! B-E-A-G-G-R-E-S-S-I-V-E! Aggressive! Be be aggressive!”

If you have kept up with Alabama football during the Mike Shula era, you have seen a team that just tries to hang in there. If ‘Bama is in a position to bust it wide open, chances are that they’ll play it safe and take the easy way out.

That’s all well and good. But that’s not Alabama football.

The story was told about one of Bear Bryant’s defending champion teams visiting a hated rival the following season. This was back in the days before overtimes, when tie ballgames were common. The game was a “slobber-knocker”. The two heavyweights battled it out for 60 minutes. Down by 7, the Crimson Tide put together one final drive to come storming back. After scoring the touchdown, Bear Bryant went for 2. They didn’t convert, and lost by a single point.

When asked about why he didn’t just kick the extra point and take the tie, the Bear grizzled, “Champions don’t play to tie. Champions play to win.”

I love Alabama football. I think Shula is the right man for the job right now. I think he can take us back to the national spotlight like we had once enjoyed. But some of his play calls leave me and the rest of the Tide Nation scratching our heads.

For instance, in the Arkansas game last week, our freshman kicker clearly had the heebie-jeebies. With not much time left in the 4th quarter, we had the ball in the redzone with a 1st down. The first play called was a Ken Darby run to the center of the field for 1 yard.

Okay, Shula is setting up a nice kick for Tiffin if we need it.”

2nd down. Ken Darby up the middle for maybe another yard.

Alright, let’s take a shot at 6 here. JPW has played a smart game. Let him take control.”

3rd down. Ken Darby up the middle for maybe a half yard.

Huh?”

4th down. Leigh Tiffin wide right. Again.

And the rest is history.

Do us a favor, Shula. Know when to take chances. Don’t show your fake field goal on 4th and 8 on your first drive against Vandy! But DO take a shot at the endzone when your freshman kicker is having a rough day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rick, Glad to see another blog that I can read during down time at the office. Though I am a UGA Bulldog, I was actually pulling for Alabama last weekend. I think Alabama has good talent and potential, but it was wasted against Arkansas (Pronounced "Are - Kansas.") Wilson had played, in my humble opinion, a very good game, but unfortunately was taken out of the equation late in the 4th quarter so Alabama could run off-tackle three times and settle for a field goal. I believe that conservative coaching and play calling lost the ball game not the kicker. Oh well, I have to go back to work. Good luck to Bama vs. Florida.

Jason

Phenominal said...

By the way Rick trhis is Brett! I forgot to say that when I left you a comment the other week! I like what you had to sat aboutt he Alabama football by the way! I was watching that game all drugged from my accident and stuff and went to sleep in the fourth quarter with Bama in the lead! I thought I was safe to assume they would win being it the fourth already! So I went on for about half way through the next week thinking they had won! I was cruched to find out what had really happened while I slept that day! Not only did Bama lose but somebody had shaved my head bald in my sleep!! Nah, just kidding!! I would be in jail for murdewr if that had happened! Ha, ha! Well, just thought I would share my story with you! Talk to you later man!!