Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, March 06, 2009

It's been a rough week...

i learned on Monday that my childhood best friend tragically passed away. after a long battle with bi-polar disorder, he took his own life Monday afternoon. today, brooke and i attended the funeral in Macon.

it's tough to comprehend what someone with severe bi-polar disorder experiences. i never saw any signs of the disease during our childhood years, but it apparently manifested itself soon thereafter. he had spent alot of his recent years "sowing his wild oats", but recently had returned to church and his first love. as recently as Sunday, he had recorded a prayer where he prayed for strength to live his life for God and for forgiveness of sins. when Monday came around, he apparently hit one of his severe lows and wasn't thinking clearly.

he was a faithful Christian who was a HUGE influence in who i have become. i'm so thankful that he is finally at peace. please keep the Sparrow family in your prayers.

4 comments:

Laura McCann said...

Rick, I am so sorry about your loss The tragedy of it is so deep in many ways. I am sure that your friend is at peace now and I hope that his family can find comfort in that as you have. Take care and know that we love you and hold you in our hearts.

Kristi said...

We were so glad to see you both yesterday. I'm so sorry, Rick, because I know that you loved Mike dearly. I will pray for you, too! Love you, Son!

Anonymous said...

Rick, you are in my thoughts and prayers. God and time will help heal your heart. It's wonderful to have such good memories of Mike---those are the ones I choose to remember. When I think of him, I only see that big, beautiful smile. We will all miss him. I love you, son!

Keysgal@QuietWater said...

Hey Rick. I was saddened to hear about Mike. I did not understand that he was your best friend when you were growing up until I read your post. I will keep all of you and certainly his family in my prayers. It's not easy saying goodbye to someone you love but time will help you remember only the good memories. He has found peace. Love you, Aunt Pat